Our client, a large local organisation with a long history and many long serving employees, had recently appointed a new CEO.
The organisation, though profitable, was experiencing a steady erosion of profit margins due to competition from cheaper products from low cost locations.
The CEO was given the task to enhance profitability and expand geographically.
In order to bring the transformation, we need to harness the energy of all employees and get them to believe in the future.
What we did:
Tier 1: Mapping transformation roadmap
- Helped the CEO and his direct reports articulate the desired future in terms of:
- operating targets.
- target customer profiles,geographic markets, employee experiences etc.
- Conducted a transformation workshop (using Appreciative Inquiry) to craft a clear and emotionally compelling narrative about the desired future.
Tier 2: Engaging employees
- The leadership spearheaded organisation-wide staff engagement through extensive communication and cascade workshops.
- They communicated the need for change using story-telling technique.
- The CEO shared the change roadmap with tangible milestones.
- He also highlighted behaviours and actions required to drive the desired change.
- Employees recognised existing strengths of the organisation and regained confidence to invest in the future.
Tier 3: Staying on course
- The CEO held his direct reports accountable for performance targets.
- Senior personnel who did not model the desired behaviours were encouraged to get off the bus as early as possible.
A highly visible leadership team, along with intensive employee engagement, and celebration of quick wins, paved the way towards accelerated growth.